Thursday, September 1, 2011

Blog #1

In a world where books are constantly being written, published, read, and critiqued throughout the world, writers must rely on readers for support. The readers of the world are the reason writers have their jobs, and can do what they love to do for a living. They control what’s popular, what works, and what will never even come close to being a best seller. Not only are there various genres of books to read from, but magazines, newspapers, journal articles, and blogs too.
As a reader, I usually go for fiction. I really like reading books like Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, even though they don’t have much moral value or insight on the world. They don’t teach you anything really, but I find them interesting. I’m especially fond of books that are in a series. You can really get into what’s going on, and get a feel for the characters. The longer the books, the more in depth you can go.
Every now and again I’ll become interested in a non-fiction book, but not too often. Historical types of non-fiction books bore me. I just don’t feel any relation between myself and the book. I prefer books that I can connect to on a personal level. Or books that include some sort of great life tragedy. The book A Child Called It by David Pelzer is an example of a non-fiction book that kept my interest the whole time. Though the plot of the story, and the way the boy was treated by his mother was horrific, it captured my complete attention. It tugged at my emotions, and made me feel like I knew the boy. Books that get personal and appeal to the emotions are the best, because they make you feel strong connections to the characters, the author, and/or the book itself.
On a side note, I also enjoy reading magazines like Seventeen, People, and Teen Vogue. It’s nice to see that even people that seem to be so high and mighty go through everyday struggles in life. It’s also funny just to read about the silly, irrational things celebrities do from time to time. Magazines are nice to look at too, and can sometimes just help you unwind after a stressful day.
I think the most important thing about being a reader is learning new things, and expanding your mind. Most of the time reading is just a pass time, or a luxury, but it’s a great way to learn about cultures of the world, and life in general. After reading a book, the reader should be able to sit down and think, “Wow, I never thought of things that way.” Or something like insightful like that.
Likewise, reading is good for seeing the world through another’s eyes. Seeing a different perspective of opinions, beliefs, and cultures. Seeing life in a way you never even imagined before. In addition, being a good reader helps you to be a good writer. The more you read, the more styles of writing you see and can even possibly use to make your own writing better.
Reading is great and enjoyable, but I don’t think I’m the best at it. Sometimes, well actually a lot of the time, I read something and it’s as if it literally went in one ear and straight through the other. Some people can read something once and have a complete literary analysis formed in their head, and I just can’t do that. I’m not a perfect reader or analyzer of books, but I’m not horrible either. I just wish reading comprehension would be easier or come more naturally to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment